HOW IT CAN ADD VALUE TO LOGISTIC SECTOR: BAR CODE SYSTEMS AND RFID (RADIO FREQUENCY IDENTIFICATION) IN LOGISTIC SERVICES
Current digital technology can do a lot in terms of improving the visibility of flows of goods and
services in logistic sector. Managing and locating important assets is undoubtedly a key
challenge for almost any business. Business is time interrelated and shortening the time for
certain operations in business is related to the profit or loss of funds. Time spent searching for
critical equipment can lead to expensive delays or down time, missed deadlines and customer
commitments, and wasted labor. RFID asset management is now a well-known solution for
identifying and tracking valuable assets. An RFID asset tracking system uses electromagnetic
fields to transmit data from an RFID tag to a reader. But what is RFID really? RFID is an
acronym for “radio frequency identification” and refers to a technology where digital data
encoded in RFID tags or smart labels are captured by a reader via radio waves, and used in
this case for RFID asset tracking and tools and equipment management. Existing technologies
now and in the future, play and will play an important role in modern distribution sector for the
movement of their products or raw materials. In fact, the benefits of specific technologies, such
as identification of the radio - frequency (RFID) and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) are
already in use by leading distribution companies.
Existing technologies now and in the future, play and will play an important role in modern
distribution sector for the movement of their products or raw materials. In fact, the benefits of
specific technologies, such as identification of the radio - frequency (RFID) and Global
Positioning Systems (GPS) are already in use by leading distribution companies.
Technological changes in communications between the devices themselves, goods and
vehicles have helped to significantly improve the quality of services, advantages that every
business must take this advantage.
Definitions and Glossary: CSCMP’s Definition of Logistics Management . Retrieved from
2. Јаќовски Б., Шулеска Ц.А.(2008): Маркетинг менаџмент. Скопје: Европски универзитет, 2008.
3. Veronneau S., Roy J.: RFID benefits, costs, and possibilities: The economical analysis of RFID
deployment in a cruise corporation global service supply chain, International Journal of Production
Economics · 122 (December 2009) 692-702.
4. Zhao J., Meng J., Feng B.: Smarter supply chain: a literature review and practices. Journal of Data,
Information and Management (2020) 2:95–110. p.97 https://doi.org/10.1007/s42488-020-00025-z
5. Hardcat. (2019, February 7). RFID asset management – expectations vs reality. Retrieved from
6. Wood, L. C., Reiners, T., & Pahl, J. (2015). Manufacturing and logistics information systems. In M.
Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (3rd ed., pp. 5136-5144).
Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-5888-2.ch507. p.2.
7. Wasp Barcode Technologies. (2020). Barcode: The Ultimate Guide to Barcodes. Retrieved from
8. Computalabel. (2020). Code 128 / GS1-128 Barcode Examples. Retrieved from
9. Véronneau S., Roy J.(2009): RFID benefits, costs, and possibilities: The economical analysis of
RFID deployment in a cruise corporation global service supply chain. Int. J. Production Economics
122 (2009) 692–702 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.06.038 ·
10. Supply Chain Market. (2020). The Cutting Edge of RFID Technology and Applications for
Manufacturing and Distribution. Retrieved from https://www.supplychainmarket.com/doc/the-cuttingedge-
11. Dolgui A., Proth J.M.(2008): RFID technology in supply chain management: State of the art and
perspectives. Proceedings of the 17th World Congress The International Federation of Automatic
Control Seoul, Korea, July 6-11, 2008. pp. 4464-4465
12. Mansuri, S. (2020). Complete guide on RFID and its applications in supply chain management and
logistics. Retrieved from https://www.peerbits.com/blog/rfid-applications-in-supply-chain-managementand-
13. Sunil K (2019) How Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) can revolutionize the Supply Chain
Management. J Inf Technol Softw Eng. 9:252. p. 2. Doi: 10.35248/2165-7818.104.22.168
14. Temjanovski R., Marjanova Jovanov, T.: Information Technology and Distribution Channels:
Current Trends. Journal of Economics. Vol.1, No.1 (2016), ISSN 1857-9973.p.4.